Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Capital Slam team has been announced!

Last night was the Capital Slam finals, and the team was chosen. Ottawa will be represented at the Canadian Festival of Spoken Word in Vancouver this October by the following poets:
  • John Akpata (team captain)
  • DJ Morales
  • Kevin Matthews
  • Steve SauvĂ©
  • Oni the Haitian Sensation (team alternate)
The team will of course be accompanied by our esteemed slammaster, Ritallin the Cerebral Stimulant. It was an amazing night full of great poetry. With no disrespect intended toward those who didn't make the team, I have to say I'm really excited about our roster. I think we're going to blow them away in Vancouver this year. We had a good showing last year, but I think everyone here has matured stylistically in the time that has passed. Not to mention our secret weapon, DJ Morales. I've said it before and I'll say it again: This girl is phenomenal and far and away my favourite Ottawa poet. The audiences in BC won't know what hit them.

Plenty of events still to come this summer. Expect to see the Ottawa Slam Team at various literary events (including the July edition of Dusty Owl).