Sunday, May 08, 2005

Capital Slam Semi-Finals this Friday!

The Semi-Finals are almost upon us! Twelve poets will go in, performing two poems a piece. The eight poets with the highest total scores will go on to the Championship Finals in June to determine which lucky poets get to go to Vancouver for the Canadian Festival of Spoken Word in October.

I'm bringing all new stuff to the Cap Slam Championships and I'm not pulling any punches. I was hoping to have my stronger pieces ready for the semi-finals, but I was so busy with all the other poetry events in April that I didn't have time to devote to writing new material. I just finished the draft for the poems I'm doing this Friday. I think they're pretty good. I wanted to avoid comedy in the first round (I want to show people I'm not a one-trick pony), but time constraints have forced me to go with what I already know I'm good at. Hopefully I have enough time to complete the poems and memorize them before the big day. 'Cause hey... I wanna go to Vancouver, dammit!

People have been bugging me for a while to go to Yuk Yuk's and do the open mic there. You've convinced me. I'm going to do it. I want to do it. So you can drop it, okay? Let me concentrate on the whole "trying to qualify for a national competition" thing first. The open mic will still be there after the finals. And I won't just redo my funny poems there, either. My first time there I'll probably just do the Geek Poem because I'll be incredibly nervous. After that I intend to write material specifically for the "stand up" genre. In fact, I've already got a few routines done.


Capital Slam Semi-Finals. This Friday. 8:30. Universe City Lounge. $10. Go.