Monday, March 28, 2005

Update

I've been meaning to post for a while, but haven't gotten around to it for reasons that will become evident to you shortly.

First off, I got second place at the No Rules Slam! That's the second time in two weeks that I've won money for doing poetry. It's a good feeling. Your score at the No Rules Slam is based upon the decibel level of the crowd's applause. I got a reaction of 113 dBA (the winner got 114). To give you some points of reference, that's a little louder than a power saw or car horn, or about as loud as the average rock concert. Let me say that again: the applause was louder than a freaking car horn! I was flabbergasted. It was definitely my best performance. I was much bolder and louder than usual, and it was only the second time (EVER) that I've taken the microphone off the stand. I'm glad the audience had such an overwhelmingly positive response to the new, more confident Steve, 'cause it was a lot of fun and I don't plan on reverting to "meek mode" anytime soon.

Also, I've been apartment hunting for two weeks. I just signed the lease today for a room in a shared apartment downtown. I'm moving in on Friday. Yes, you read that right. Friday. Guess I should start packing, eh? I'm excited because I've been living in Nepean ever since I first moved to this area from Windsor in May of 2001. My whole life is downtown. It makes much more sense for me to live there. My accomodations won't be as nice as they are now, but my rent is cheaper and hey: location, location, location. I can walk just about everywhere that's worth going to.

I'm also working on starting up a new spoken word event within the next couple of months. Does the city need another one? Yes. Every city everywhere always needs more of the arts. Mine will have a unique catch to differentiate it from the others. Something to do with a little project of mine some of you may have thought I'd abandoned... Those of you who know what I'm talking about should expect to be hearing from me relatively soon. Keep in mind that I'm ridiculously busy right now, though.