Thursday, March 17, 2005

National Capital Throwdown

So yeah, I went to the National Capital Throwdown last night and it was awesome! It was my first time there and I was not disappointed in the slightest. I love the slams, but it was very refreshing to go to a non-competitive spoken word event and see people giving their all on the stage for a receptive crowd. I will definitely be a regular at this event from now on. I also finally met Julie Delaney, the woman behind the Ottawa edition of the CBC Poetry Face-Off for the last several years. She didn't waste any time telling me I had to compete in the next one, which I've already heard from a bunch of poets over the last two years. Okay, okay, enough already: I'll do it!

Seriously, Looking back at the last three Face-Offs, I think about 70-80% of the participants have been friends and acquaintances of mine. So I get the pressure to compete from all sides. It makes me very nervous though, 'cause they give you a topic that you have to write about and I've never been very good at doing specific commisions. I just tend to write about whatever the hell is on my mind at any given time. Julie pointed out that the topics tend to be very broad, which is true. This year was play. I could've done that. I think. Oh well, I guess we'll see next year, eh?