Saturday, March 12, 2005

Na na na na na na na na... Cap Slam!

Wow! Capital Slam was amazing last night! They packed the Universe City Lounge and actually had to turn quite a few people away at the door 'cause there was just no room for 'em. I don't know who bribed the judges for me, but I got some ridiculously high scores in both rounds (29.8 for my first piece and 29.7 in the final round) and took home my first Capital Slam victory. For those who weren't there and are wondering at all the Batman references in this post, I did a poem explaining how capitalism may have it's flaws, but without it, the Caped Crusader could not possibly hope to thrive and protect us as he does. Silly? Yes. Crowd-pleasing? Much more than I anticipated.

There were some amazing performances on that stage, dammit! Café Nostalgica regular Tiah made a splash with her first appearance at the Capital Slam doing a piece about a conversation between a weewee and a hoohaw. ;) It was brilliant!

DJ Morales completely blew me away as usual. The girl's 17 and I think she may be my new favourite Ottawa poet. I shit you not. She has way too much talent for someone so young. I was writing total crap at her age.

The featured performer Sonia Ndongmo gave us a half-time show I'll not soon forget. Her voice is just astonishing, and she's backed up by an incredible band. Greg has assured me that he will do everthing in his power to get her back on that stage in the future.

I can't say enough about last evening. It was just astounding, and I'm fucking thrilled that Greg and Elissa are having so much success with the series after a mere six months. I had high hopes for this series from the very beginning, but even in my optimism I never expected to see it take off so dramatically in this short a time. Congratulations, guys! All you gotta do now is keep it up!

There's a friggin' spoken word Renaissance going on in this city, and I'll soon post some info on all the events that are still to come this month. (There's lots!)



Holy victory, Batman! Posted by Hello